WHAT IS IT?
The redevelopment that will transform our neighborhood is just beginning. Residents, business people, and city officials have been working together to plan a Neighborhood Council to influence this transformation.
This presentation provides an overview of the Working Group and the decisons made so far.
MAJOR UPCOMING EVENTS
- October 23rd 7a-8p - Community vote on Bylaws - To be held at the Somerville Public Safety Building / Police Station, 220 Washington Street. Yes, that’s 7am to 8pm - there will be a ballot box for you to drop a vote into.
- December 2 & 6 - Eligible Members as defined in Bylaws, if approved, vote to elect a Council Board
UPCOMING WORKING GROUP MEETINGS
- Wednesday 10/25 at 7pm (at the police station)
ABOUT THE PROPOSED COUNCIL
Our Vision for Union Square is a thriving, engaged, enjoyable, inclusive, sustainable, diverse urban neighborhood and vibrant commercial center.
Our Mission is to shape the future of Union Square as an increasingly inclusive and vibrant neighborhood and commercial center built around the aspirations of the people who live and work here.
Our Values are interdependence, inclusion, wellness, participation, equity, enjoyment, stewardship, transparency and civic engagement.
Our Goals are to build community, empower members of the community, minimize displacement and promote affordability, increase economic opportunity, and steward the public realm and built environment. Furthermore, the Union Sq. Neighborhood Council aspires to be representative of the demographics of the community in Union Square. Our ideal board is comprised of at least 50% women and at least 27% people of color just like our neighborhood. We recognize these goals are aspirational however we do ask that all candidates for board be committed to the above and think creatively about how to achieve it for the USNC.
WHO ARE WE?
The Neighborhood Council Working Group is:
- Open to anyone with an interest in the future of Union Square
- Owners, renters, business owners, workers, artists, seniors, members of LOCUS and CAC.
- Establishing our own protocols and democratic processes
- A forum for discussing ordinances that will affect Union Square
- Including Zoning Overlay, MLDA, CBO
- Developing Structure, Bylaws, Ratification and Election processes for a formalized, elected Neighborhood Council
To join the major announcements list and be notified about major upcoming events, sign up for the newsletter here: major announcements list
To receive Working Group announcements about future Working Group meetings, join the Working Group announcements list
To join the online discussion around the details of the future Union Square Neighborhood Council, join the discussion list
If you’d like to be involved with a Working Group Committee, please sign up for the Committees here:
- Structure Committee: Help figure out the structure of a future Neighborhood Council Board as well as issues of who can vote in a future Neighborhood Council Election.
- Outreach and Welcome Committee: Help spread information about the Union Square Neighborhood Council Working Group throughout the community and help develop short materials for newcomers to easily understand the purposes and goals of a Neighborhood Council.
- Elections Committee: Help prepare for future elections for a Union Square Neighborhood Council.
- Presentations Committee: Help prepare for public presentations.
- Data and Survey Research Committee: Look at surveys and other data from the community to understand their questions and concerns about a Neighborhood Council,