Neighborhood Council Bylaws
The USNC bylaws provide a framework for the Founding Board to:
- Be agile in making “small” decisions
- Seek Membership buy-in and approval of “large” decisions
- Express opinions and positions publically
- Ratify permanent bylaws
- Negotiate with third parties
- Receive and disburse funds
- Avoid conflicts of interest
Membership is open to all who satisfy the criteria on the join form who are over 16. Members have the right to vote in elections of the founding board of directors and those of subsequent boards. They may also vote to approve bylaws andd community benefits agreements (CBAs).
The fifteen member founding board is empowered by the membership to negotiate on behalf of stakeholders in the Union Square area, represented by the Neighborhood Council in community benefits discussions. They are also able to disburse funds, provide recommendations and speak on behalf of the USNC.
The bylaws under which the Council now operates were ratified by a community vote on January 5th, 2019.